Christmas isn’t near or is it? Well, who looks at the occasion when it comes to baking a cake. Traditional Christmas plum cake recipe is rich in plum and other dried fruits baked altogether with rum. But what if you don’t want to use rum? Of course there are substitutes to rum and cooking jaggery/molasses with any fruit juice of your choice is one of them.
A traditional Christmas cake is also known for the variety of spices used. The use of spices is limited when it comes to dessert, but if you are bored of the regular taste of your desserts it’s time to give your taste buds a twist. I experimented using a mixture of 6 spices in my cake batter and it turned out to be extremely delicious. You should not deprive your taste buds from enjoying the taste of this wonderful plum cake recipe rich in spices and dried fruits.
Ingredients for plum cake
For the sponge cake-
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup powdered jaggery/molasses/ healthy sugar substitutes (as preferred)
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk/buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter/ healthy butter substitutes
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence/extract (optional)
- 1 lemon juice / any citrus fruit juice
The spices mix for the plum cake twist-
- 4-5 cardamom roasted and powdered
- 2-3 cloves roasted and powdered
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg powder
The dried fruits mix-
- Dried plums
- Tutti frutti
- Cashew nuts
- Preheat the oven at 180° C and prepare a baking tray by spraying butter/oil and lightly flouring.
- Sieve together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and keep aside.
- In a pan, add lemon juice/ any citrus fruit juice along with jaggery and all the dried fruits. Warm the mixture for 2-3 minutes on a low flame. Keep aside.
- Whisk butter and egg yolks till light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites, essence and milk. Whisk well.
- Add all the spices.
- Now, add the jaggery mixture and mix well.
- Lastly, add the dry sieved mixture and mix well till no lumps remains. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the baking tin and top with some crushed nuts.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Tadaaa! Delicious plum cake rich in dried fruits is ready to give a twist to your taste buds. Consume it warm right from the oven or chill it in the refrigerator.
Share your experience with your own twist!