Ever wondered what did the pizza maker put into your pizza that gave birth to your addiction towards it? Is it the secret pizza recipe? An intense desire for pizza that makes you eat more and more every time you promise a last slice to yourself. What is the magic ingredient, it is the heavenly combination of crust, sauce, cheese and endless cheese or does the magic lie in the hands of the pizza maker? Well, what makes it actually addictive is neither of the above.
It’s the wholesomeness of a pizza that satisfies us to the core. A complete meal with balanced carbohydrates, protein, fiber and fats. Now you must be thinking why addiction then? Well it’s the tendency of our brain to ask for more when it feels rewarded. Eating a slice is pizza is so satiating that taste receptors signal the brain of the incoming food in a way that makes it feel rewarded. Unfortunately these receptors does not send a signal when to stop because they tend to enjoy it. This creates a cycle of our brain wanting us to eat more and more.
Then what’s the solution to it? How to continue to eat pizza and stay healthy at the same time? Well, Pizza is the new healthy! Yes, pizza is a healthy food, you must check out the 8 reasons why pizza is healthy for you.
Why make your own homemade pizza?
When you make your own pizza instead of buying it from a pizza outlet, you have the upper hand of what goes into your pizza, how much of it goes into your pizza and what stays out of it. Making the right choices for the pizza base, toppings and type of cheese can make your pizza unbelievably healthy. Don’t you want a pizza that you can binge on guilt free? This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t limit your portions when it comes to healthy food! You should always control portions of whatever you eat and then you are free to eat anything and everything. Making your own pizza and eating a healthy pizza is far better than eating an unhealthy one. I don’t think I need to convince you more to make-bake your own pizza now on wards. I am sharing my easy to make pizza recipe with you all.
Also, I made a stop motion of homemade pizza making long back for my animation project. Hope you will find it interesting.
- Baking tray
- 250 gm whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
- 10 gm yeast dry activated
- 10 gm sugar
- 15 gm butter
- 5 gm salt
- 70-100 ml water as required
- 5-6 clove garlic
- 10-12 leaves oregano
- 10-12 leaves basil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt as per taste
- sugar as per taste
- 1 tsp black pepper crushed or powdered
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup boiled corn
- 1 capsicum or any other veggies of choice
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
Pizza base dough
- Mix together dry activated yeast with 5-6 tbsp of lukewarm water and sugar.
- Keep it covered and let it stand for 10-15 minutes or until you see some bubbles popping. This is an important step as it checks if the yeast is activated. If no bubbles are seen, that means your yeast has expired or is not of good quality, hence should be discarded.
- In a bowl rub flour and butter together. Add salt.
- Add the yeast mixture together with some lukewarm water and knead a loose dough.
- Keep the dough covered with a damp cloth or plastic film and leave it undisturbed in a warm place for 45 min or until the dough doubles in size.
- When the dough is almost double in size, knead it lightly, shape it in the form of pizza base. Again cover it and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. Till then prepare the pizza sauce and chop some veggies.
- Blanch some tomatoes and blend it. (Remove the peel before blending)
- Heat olive oil in a pan.
- Add crushed garlic, crushed oregano and basil leaves and slightly roast them together.
- Add pureed tomato and season the sauce with salt, sugar and pepper.
- Simmer it and cook it for 5-10 minutes.
- Spread this pizza sauce on your base dough.
- Put some shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce
- Add veggies of your choice. Onions/capsicum/corn/cottage cheese/chicken/meat/pepperoni
- Crush some pepper, oregano and basil leaves on top.
- Sprinkle salt as per taste.
- Put some shredded mozzarella cheese on top of all
- Bake in a preheated oven at 220° C for 20 minutes.
- Make sure you use low fat cheese in order to cut down some fat and calories.
- You can make a healthier pizza base by using multigrain flour.
- Make a smart choice while choosing veggies. By smart I mean healthy. Don’t like eating your greens? Put them on your pizza!
- Experiment with healthy toppings and be the inventor of your own new pizza.
Tadaaa! The crust is light and perfect like a freshly baked bread. The combination of sweet tangy pizza sauce, toppings and cheese brings heaven on earth. Working on your own pizza and finally having it feels so good. It’s all worth it. Be sure to give it a try.
Do share your experience and tell us how you experimented with your pizza. Let’s talk about our favorite healthy toppings. I personally love a combination of onion and corn pizza. What about you?