Healthy chocolate ice cream for all the times you crave one (also, it’s vegan! ). This is a low-calorie healthy, and vegan alternative to the store-bought ice creams that are loaded with unhealthy calories.
This Chocolate Ice Cream recipe has been on my repeat list for months. I must have made it thrice weekly before I realized that I had to share the recipe with you. I truly believe it’s the easiest healthy ice cream recipe low in calories, which is vegan and you would never know it’s actually good for you.
This version of healthy chocolate ice cream tastes exactly like a regular chocolate ice cream. One can make it using only 3 ingredients by processing them in a food processor or a blender until smooth and creamy. You can try various versions of this ice cream by adding some fruits and nuts. Personally, I prefer chocolate ice cream with a combination of roasted cashews and cocoa chips.
Only 3 Ingredients used:
Frozen bananas: My experiments with various types of bananas revealed that an overripe banana with black/brown patches is what you need. Overripe bananas are full of anti-oxidants and loads of natural sweetness. In addition, they give a caramelized flavor with a creamy texture. Just what a delicious ice cream needs!
Cocoa powder: Chocolate ice cream is incomplete without cocoa. Make sure you use unsweetened cocoa powder to avoid calories from hidden sugar in the cocoa powder. I use Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder in almost most of my recipes with chocolate flavor.
Dates: Adding dates in dessert recipes add natural and healthy sweetness along with other nutrients such as iron and fiber making a dessert more healthy. The number of dates used totally depends upon the level of sweetness you want in a recipe. Check out other healthy alternatives to sugar.
Optional ingredients: Swap cocoa powder with fruits such as mangoes or berries to enjoy mango ice cream and berries ice cream. Additionally, you can add roasted nuts of your choice to add crunch and enhance flavors.
Why you must try this healthy chocolate ice cream?
- It uses all the unprocessed ingredients that are healthy.
- It tastes exactly like a regular creamy chocolate ice cream.
- There’s no harm if you get addicted to it. (You obviously will! )
- It’s the best recipe to trick your loved ones into eating healthy.
- Just some frozen bananas and add ons of your choice! Tadaa!
Healthy Chocolate ice cream | Low Calorie | Vegan
- Food processor OR
- 1 banana overripe
- 1 tbsp. Cocoa powder
- 4 Dates without seeds
- 1/4 cup cocoa chips optional
- Freeze overripe bananas in a freezer overnight
- Blend frozen bananas, cocoa powder and dates together in a blender until smooth.
- Add some cocoa chips and roasted nuts of your choice.
- Freeze the blended mixture again for about 1-2 hours if it’s runny. It will make it easily scoopable.
- Add fruits of your choice instead of cocoa powder to invent your new flavor of ice cream.
- Add healthy crunch by adding roasted nuts of your choice.
- You can use date sugar instead of dates. ( Check out other healthy sugar alternatives here! )