Ever had a lemon tart made all by yourself? Ever experienced that gush when the custard lemon filling takes up most of the room in your mouth with the crumbly-sweet pastry? The combination of slight tangy lemons with the sweet creamy custard together with a crumbly pastry is what makes this lemon tart recipe a delicious one. Your taste buds will love the twist this classic french dessert serves. Get ready to make some following these easy steps.
For the pastry/crust
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar/ natural sugar substitutes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 tablespoons milk/water
Lemon tart filling-
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 2 pinch lemon zest (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoon sugar/natural sugar substitutes
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
Method for a perfect lemon tart
For the crust-
- Rub together flour and butter well. (This is an important step as it brings out that crumbly texture in the crust)
- Beat together egg whites and sugar until meringue is observed. It is a stage where you can see stiff peaks. This makes the crust crisp and light.
- Now, mix together rubbed flour, meringue, salt and milk and knead a dough.
- Roll the dough and cut them in small circular shapes so that it can fit a muffin mold or a tart pan. Fit the circle to the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake it in a preheated oven (200° C) for 15 minutes or till the crusts are almost done. Keep them a bit softer as they are going to bake with the filling too.
Fill the lemon tart crusts-
- Beat egg yolks and egg whites.
- Add sugar, butter, lemon juice and lemon zest. Whisk well.
- Pour this filling mixture on the tart shell crusts which you baked earlier.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the filling sets completely.
Tadaaa! The sweet-tangy, crumbly and mouth watering tarts are ready to go into your mouth. You can add some healthy frostings on top of it for an extra reward to your brain. Consume them fresh or store them in the refrigerator for a week.
Share your experience and how your classic lemon tarts turned out to be!