The best homemade chocolate brownies with the richness of chocolate, crispy tops and edges and a gooey center with chocolate chips spread all along.
I was always in search of a perfect brownie recipe since a very long time. Every time I ate one at the cafes, I wondered if I could ever make them as perfect as they taste with each bite. The combination of chocolate flavor and the rich chocolate chips just carries me each time I take a bite of those chewy and fudgy chocolate brownies. Will I be able to make chocolate brownies as perfect as the ready to mix ones?
Well, yes I did! After experimenting with various recipes from the internet and playing with the quantity of ingredients I finally discovered the best homemade chocolate brownies of all times. Now, I don’t have to visit the cafe every time I crave one! I just collect the common pantry ingredients and bake one. My family and friends love this version of brownies and they prefer having it at home rather than having it at the cafe. I always believe baking is all about adjusting the ingredients to your desired taste and discovering your own creation after attempts of experiments. Feel free to discover your taste and share your experiments with me too, after all we are a family of bakers.
Last week while sipping some hot chocolate over a conversation with my friend, we arrived at a question which is the most common doubt for all of us.
What is the difference between a chocolate cake and a brownie?
Cake vs Brownie
There are two types of people in this world. One who thinks, cakes and brownies taste exactly the same while others who spend their entire life convincing people about the minute differences between cakes and brownies. Cakes and brownies both are delicious delicacies that can bring heaven on earth with their looks and delicious taste. While cake is soft and fluffy, a brownie is heavy, fudgy with cracks on top. So, what exactly brings out the difference between the two?
Cakes are of a sweet bread like texture whose fundamental ingredients include flour, eggs, sugar, butter or oil and leaving agents like baking powder, baking soda, etc. Some other taste adding ingredients include nuts, berries, chocolates and flavors. Cake can be a sponge cake which is enjoyed with tea or an icing cake for birthdays and other occasions.
Whereas a brownie is considered a hybrid of cookie and cake, hence also known as a cookie-cake. The fundamental ingredients of a brownie include flour, eggs, butter, cocoa powder, chocolate and sugar. Chocolate, chocolate chips or cocoa powder are the principal ingredient in this delicacy. Brownies are thick and leveled, cut into squares and enjoyed with espresso and ice creams.
Bottom line: Cake vs Brownie
The main difference between a cake and a brownie is the level of sugar, butter and flour. Another remarkable contrast is that brownies does not require usage of leavening agents like baking soda or baking powder. Also, unlike cakes, brownies are loaded with chocolates and chocolate chips. So, if you are a die hard chocolate lover, brownie is the go-to dessert for you.
So now that you know the difference between a cake and brownie lets bake some. Try these chocolate cake recipes and this homemade chocolate brownie recipe and compare them yourself to understand the differences better.
Best homemade chocolate brownies
- Mixing bowls
- Brownie baking tray
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar granulated
- 1/2 cup cocoa power
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips dark
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil or any neutral oil you prefer
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 pinch salt
- 1 tsp chocolate essence
- Preheat the oven at 180° C and prepare a baking tray by spraying butter/oil and lightly flouring.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl- sugar, flour, salt, cocoa powder and chocolate chips
- In another bowl whisk eggs with oil, water and chocolate essence.
- Mix the dry mixture 2-3 tbsp at a time into the wet mixture.
- Pour the batter into the brownie baking tray (use a spatula to smooth the tray) and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Note that we haven’t used any leavening agents like baking soda or baking powder. That’s the main difference between cakes and brownies.
- These brownies also taste good with whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour. Whole wheat flour adds fiber and other nutrients, thus making it healthier.
- 1 cup of sugar gives enough sweetness, however you can add an extra 1/2 cup of sugar if you prefer more sweet. Also check out natural sugar substitutes for healthy baking.
- Allow the brownies to cool, as when they come out of the oven they are slightly gooey at the center.
Tadaaa! The best homemade chocolate brownies with chewy and fudgy texture loaded with chocolate is ready to disappear in your mouth.
Share your brownie making experience with us and let us know about your experiment with brownies.