Want some extra moist chocolate cake? A cake with chunks of chocolate in each bite, a cake so spongy and moist that it disappears in your mouth satisfying your soul to the core. No No… these are not big words, it was exactly my feeling after my experiment with a basic chocolate cake recipe to make something phenomenal. I would rank this as the best chocolate cake recipe out of all my recipes in the cake category.
What makes this the best chocolate cake?
- This cake uses full fat creamy yogurt which gives the cake it’s moist texture along with flavor.
- This cake doesn’t follow the traditional rule of mixing all the dry ingredients into the wet ones. Instead, meringue (eggs beaten with sugar till foamy) is gently folded into the cake batter at last. This is the secret to the fluffiness of the cake.
- Adding chocolate chunks to the cake batter along with coco powder to add extra chocolaty flavor in each bite.
I didn’t use any blender or electric beater to reach meringue stage of the eggs. The eggs were beaten along with powdered sugar using a simple hand whisker for 5-6 minutes with breaks in between. This is hence the easiest, simplest and the best recipe. Add some nuts for a crunch or add some coco chips for death by chocolate experience! After all how much chocolate is chocolaty enough?
Best chocolate cake
- Mixing bowl
- Hand whisker
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup yogurt full fat creamy
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsp coco powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp chocolate essence optional
- 1/2 cup crushed chocolate/ coco chips optional
- Whisk eggs with a hand whisker.
- Add powdered sugar spoon by spoon and beat well. Make sure you beat it till the time the mixture forms stiff peaks. Keep aside.
- Beat butter and yogurt well. Add chocolate essence.
- Mix milk into the butter and yogurt mixture until it forms a smooth runny solution.
- Sieve flour, coco powder, baking soda and baking powder into the milk solution.
- Mix well, until no lumps remain.
- Gently fold the beaten egg and sugar mixture into the batter. Add chocolate chunks or coco chips. Do not over mix.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180° C for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Tadaaa! This mouth watering moist delicacy is ready to drive you crazy. I usually prefer healthy frostings with this cake. Let us know how you like your cake. In this recipe we have smartly cut down the usage of butter with the help of yogurt. You can skip yogurt and add 1/2 cup butter instead.
Share your cake making experience with us. Tell us about the experiments you do in your kitchen.